Re: postmaster -D PGDATA and postmaster.pid

От Medi Montaseri
Тема Re: postmaster -D PGDATA and postmaster.pid
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thanks Tom..that did the magic....

Would I allow PG to start from any -D place by saying

semange fcontext -a -t postgresql_db_t "/qmsvol(/.*)?"

Thanks
Medi

On Nov 26, 2007 7:48 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
"Medi Montaseri" <montaseri@gmail.com> writes:
> However if I try to start the engine with "/etc/init.d/postgresql start " or
> service postgresql start" I see the following error message in my PGLOG (ie
> /var/log/pgsql/pgstartup.log)

> postmaster cannot access the server configuration file
> "/qmsvol/pg_8.1.9/data/postgresql.conf": Permission denied

This being CentOS (ie RHEL), you probably have got SELinux turned on
by default.  The out-of-the-box SELinux policy forbids the postmaster
daemon from accessing portions of the filesystem other than
/var/lib/pgsql.

You can either disable SELinux or fix its policy to allow PG to access
the area where you want to put PGDATA.  I don't really recommend the
former, at least not for a system that has any exposure at all to the
open Internet.  However, I don't have a recipe for fixing the latter
in my hip pocket, either.  (Really need to go study SELinux someday.)