Re: Link t the souce code

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Link t the souce code
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
> On 2021-Jul-21, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'm having qualms about recommending this in this particular spot,
>> rather than back in Appendix I.  Seems like the wrong audience is
>> going to be reading this chapter.

> Well, we can remove that first paragraph from there and just refer the
> reader to the appendix ... something like this, perhaps.

+1, though I think you're short a </para> or so.

> The appendix already has instructions on cloning the repo.  It doesn't
> say anything about branches though, but I'm not sure we want our docs to
> become a tutorial on Git.  We already link to git-scm.com though that's
> not great; it doesn't explain our branch structure for example.  We
> could do better.

Agreed that we're not here to teach people how to use git.  But it'd
be worth explaining our branch naming conventions in that appendix.
It'd be sufficient I guess to mention "master" and "REL_n_STABLE";
by the time v15 sees the light of day, all the pre-v10 branches
will be EOL.  (Maybe also explain the REL_m_n release tags?)