Re: Link t the souce code

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Link t the souce code
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 2021-Jul-21, Tom Lane wrote:

> Hm ... actually, now that I read the committed patch, I realize that
> it's effectively recommending that people build their installations
> from the latest commit on master.  That might be what aspiring PG
> hackers want to do, but it's quite unlikely that Joe DBA wants to.
> I think if we're going to recommend pulling the git repo as the
> way to get the sources, we at least ought to recommend a
> "git checkout REL_n_STABLE" step, and point out that this gives
> you branch tip not a released-and-QAed version.  On the whole though,
> I'm having qualms about recommending this in this particular spot,
> rather than back in Appendix I.  Seems like the wrong audience is
> going to be reading this chapter.

Well, we can remove that first paragraph from there and just refer the
reader to the appendix ... something like this, perhaps.

The appendix already has instructions on cloning the repo.  It doesn't
say anything about branches though, but I'm not sure we want our docs to
become a tutorial on Git.  We already link to git-scm.com though that's
not great; it doesn't explain our branch structure for example.  We
could do better.

--
Álvaro Herrera              Valdivia, Chile  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/

Вложения