Re: Socket problem using beta2 on Windows-XP

От Magnus Hagander
Тема Re: Socket problem using beta2 on Windows-XP
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> > With great help from Magnus, who advised me to use lspfix from
> > cexx.org to list my lsp's, I found that I had gapsp.dll,
> "Neoteris DNS Provider"
> > installed. An uninstall of the Neoteris software made this
> problem go away.
>
> I guess the question is, why is a "DNS Provider" software
> blocking socket creation?  Is there a way we could work around that?

It's just another version of the "Broken LSP" that we've been having
problems iwth before. But before, it's only been AV and firewall stuff.

I guess they somehow put a LSP in there to intercept DNS packets or
soemthign. Completely broken design IMHO, but that's a different thing
;-) And they apparantly don't support socket inheritance. The only way
we can work around them breaking the concept of socket inheritance is to
stop using it. Which would mean going multithread instead of
multiprocess, which isn't very likely...

To reiterate the basic point: The broken LSP breaks a fundamental
promise in the sockets API that we absolutely require. The bug is
completely within the LSP.

//Magnus