Re: Sync production DB with development?

От Israel Brewster
Тема Re: Sync production DB with development?
Дата
Re: Sync production DB with development?  (Jeff Ross <jross@openvistas.net>)
Список pgsql-general
On Oct 8, 2014, at 9:30 AM, Emanuel Calvo <emanuel.calvo@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> El 08/10/14 a las 14:01, Israel Brewster escibió:
>> I am currently doing periodic syncs of one of my production
>> databases to my development database using the command pg_dump -ch
>> development server. This works well enough, but as the size of the
>> production database grows, this command is, for obvious reasons,
>> getting progressively slower (a full sync like this currently takes
>> about 35 seconds). Is there a better way? Something that will only
>> transfer records that are different on the production server, like
>> rsync does for files perhaps?
>
> You can setup a streaming server, however I wont' recommend to sync
> from a production server.

No, that wouldn't work well, because I need full access to my development server, and I need to be able to NOT have it
insync while I am working on it.

> Usually there is no need to have *all* the data from prod to
> development. Both environments should be isolated for security reasons.

Agreed. and no, I don't need all the data. But pg_dump doesn't give me an option to, say, only grab the last week of
data.

> Other thing is to implement a QA server, streaming from the master or
> taking a nightly snapshot with pg_basebackup. I think it could be more
> than enough.

A QA server is great, and nightly snapshots are probably fine for that, however it doesn't help with my development
server,I don't think.

> Actually, doing pg_dump | psql could take more time than pg_basebackup.
>

>> My main concern here is the time it takes to sync, given that the
>> database size will only continue growing as time passes (unless I
>> start implementing an archive at some point). The current database
>> has two years worth of records. I would assume that the time the
>> sync takes would grow roughly linearly with the number of records,
>> so I could easily be over a minute of sync time in another two
>> years. I would really rather not have to wait several minutes every
>> time I want to update my development data.
>
> Which is the entire size of your production cluster?

At the moment, only about 538MB. Which I realize isn't all that large in the grand scheme of databases.