Re: Sync production DB with development?

От Emanuel Calvo
Тема Re: Sync production DB with development?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

El 08/10/14 a las 14:01, Israel Brewster escibió:
> I am currently doing periodic syncs of one of my production
> databases to my development database using the command pg_dump -ch
> development server. This works well enough, but as the size of the
> production database grows, this command is, for obvious reasons,
> getting progressively slower (a full sync like this currently takes
> about 35 seconds). Is there a better way? Something that will only
>  transfer records that are different on the production server, like
> rsync does for files perhaps?

You can setup a streaming server, however I wont' recommend to sync
from a production server.

Usually there is no need to have *all* the data from prod to
development. Both environments should be isolated for security reasons.

Other thing is to implement a QA server, streaming from the master or
taking a nightly snapshot with pg_basebackup. I think it could be more
than enough.

Actually, doing pg_dump | psql could take more time than pg_basebackup.

> My main concern here is the time it takes to sync, given that the
> database size will only continue growing as time passes (unless I
> start implementing an archive at some point). The current database
> has two years worth of records. I would assume that the time the
> sync takes would grow roughly linearly with the number of records,
> so I could easily be over a minute of sync time in another two
> years. I would really rather not have to wait several minutes every
> time I want to update my development data.

Which is the entire size of your production cluster?

- --
- --
Emanuel Calvo  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/
Bs. As., Argentina (GMT-3)