Re: pg_standby for 8.2 (with last restart point)

От Gurjeet Singh
Тема Re: pg_standby for 8.2 (with last restart point)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 3:56 AM, Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> wrote:
On Fri, 28 Mar 2008, Gurjeet Singh wrote:

> For PG versions < 8.3 (specifically 8.2) I wanted the %r parameter to be
> substituted by the last restart point, just as the recovery code does in
> > 8.3. I assumed there would be objections to it (else it would have
> already been there in 8.2.x)

The idea to add this feature didn't show up before 8.2 was released, it
came up during the 8.3 development cycle.  This project doesn't make
functional changes to stable releases, that's the reason why 8.2 will
never get patched to add the %r feature.

I completely understand that, but still was hoping that we'd change that.

Cute script though.  I know people have asked about simulating this
behavior, and I don't recall a good sample solution being presented before
yours.

Thanks.

Is there anybody who sees any problem with this? Specifically, internals wise, does 8.2 also give the same guarantee 8.3 does w.r.t restart point? And consequently, is it safe to go ahead with this script in a production environment?

Best regards,
--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | indiatimes | yahoo }.com