Re: PATCH: pgbench - option to build using ppoll() for largerconnection counts

От Rady, Doug
Тема Re: PATCH: pgbench - option to build using ppoll() for largerconnection counts
Дата
Re: PATCH: pgbench - option to build using ppoll() for largerconnection counts
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/26/18, 15:00, "Fabien COELHO" <coelho@cri.ensmp.fr> wrote:
        Hello Doug,

Hello Fabien,

    Patch applies, compiles, tests ok.

    >    > [...] Replaced USE_PPOLL with HAVE_PPOLL as having both seems redundant.
    >
    >    I'm okay with that. I'm wondering whether there should be a way to force
    >    using one or the other when both are available. Not sure.
    >
    > Added option to force use of select(2) via:  -DUSE_SELECT

    USE_SELECT could mean something somewhere. Maybe use something more
    specific like PGBENCH_USE_SELECT? Having this macro available simplifies
    testing.

Changed to PGBENCH_USE_SELECT

    I'm not sure why you do the following trick, could you explain?
       +#undef USE_SELECT
       +#define USE_SELECT

This was due to compiler complaint about USE_SELECT being redefined.
Have replaced that "trick" with a new #define POLL_USING_SELECT which is used elsewhere in pgbench instead.

    In the select implementation you do:

      return (socket_set *) pg_malloc0(sizeof(socket_set) * MAXCLIENTS);

    but ISTM that socket_set is already an fd_set which represents a set of
    clients, so allocating a number of it is needed. The initial
    implementation just does "fs_set input_mask", whetever the number of
    clients, and it works fine.

Ugh. Yes, for socket() only one (1) fd_set is needed.
Fixed.

    --
    Fabien.

Thank you, again!!