Re: Temporary files directory

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Temporary files directory
Дата
Re: Temporary files directory
Список pgsql-admin
Robert.Farrugia@go.com.mt writes:
> Is it possible to tell postgres where to create the temporary files
> (especially during clustering and re-indexing) ?

Not at present.

> Additionally, is it possible to create a database than spans on more than
> one partition or harddisk under Linux ?

Right now, the only way to do this is to manually move individual files
around and then establish symlinks to them from where they were in the
database directory.  While this works, it's pretty darn tedious to
maintain, especially for large tables that might contain many segments;
and you more or less have to shut down the database while moving files
around, too.  We have plans to create a more useful "tablespace"
administration capability in the future.

What I'd recommend in the short term is that you use a filesystem
implementation that allows a logical filesystem to span multiple
physical disks.  My preferred OS, HPUX, can do this easily; I believe
the same thing can be done with some Linux filesystems but don't know
the details.  (Any help out there?)