Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: logical decoding and replication of sequences, take 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 7/24/23 14:53, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 20, 2023 at 8:22 PM Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>

>>> PFA such edits in 0002 and 0006 patches. Let me know if those look
>>> correct. I think we
>>> need similar changes to the documentation and comments in other places.
>>>

>> OK, I merged the changes into the patches, with some minor changes to
>> the wording etc.
>
> Thanks.
>

>>> In sequence_decode() we skip sequence changes when fast forwarding.
>>> Given that smgr_decode() is only to supplement sequence_decode(), I
>>> think it's correct to do the same in smgr_decode() as well. Simillarly
>>> skipping when we don't have full snapshot.
>>>

>> I don't follow, smgr_decode already checks ctx->fast_forward.
>
> In your earlier email you seemed to expressed some doubts about the
> change skipping code in smgr_decode(). To that, I gave my own
> perspective of why the change skipping code in smgr_decode() is
> correct. I think smgr_decode is doing the right  thing, IMO. No change
> required there.

I think that was referring to the skipping we do for logical messages:

    if (message->transactional &&
        !SnapBuildProcessChange(builder, xid, buf->origptr))
        return;
    else if (!message->transactional &&
             (SnapBuildCurrentState(builder) != SNAPBUILD_CONSISTENT ||
              SnapBuildXactNeedsSkip(builder, buf->origptr)))
        return;

I concluded we don't need to do that here.

>>> Some minor comments on 0006 patch
>>>
>>> +    /* make sure the relfilenode creation is associated with the XID */
>>> +    if (XLogLogicalInfoActive())
>>> +        GetCurrentTransactionId();
>>>
>>> I think this change is correct and is inline with similar changes in 0002. But
>>> I looked at other places from where DefineRelation() is called. For regular
>>> tables it is called from ProcessUtilitySlow() which in turn does not call
>>> GetCurrentTransactionId(). I am wondering whether we are just discovering a
>>> class of bugs caused by not associating an xid with a newly created
>>> relfilenode.
>>>

>> Not sure. Why would it be a bug?
>
> This discussion is unrelated to sequence decoding but let me add it
> here. If we don't know the transaction ID that created a relfilenode,
> we wouldn't know whether to roll back that creation if the transaction
> gets rolled back during recovery. But maybe that doesn't matter since
> the relfilenode is not visible in any of the catalogs, so it just lies
> there unused.

I think that's unrelated to this patch.

>>> +void
>>> +ReorderBufferAddRelFileLocator(ReorderBuffer *rb, TransactionId xid,
>>> +                               RelFileLocator rlocator)
>>> +{
>>>     ... snip ...
>>> +
>>> +    /* sequence changes require a transaction */
>>> +    if (xid == InvalidTransactionId)
>>> +        return;
>>>
>>> IIUC, with your changes in DefineSequence() in this patch, this should not
>>> happen. So this condition will never be true. But in case it happens, this code
>>> will not add the relfilelocation to the hash table and we will deem the
>>> sequence change as non-transactional. Isn't it better to just throw an error
>>> and stop replication if that (ever) happens?
>>>

>> It can't happen for sequence, but it may happen when creating a
>> non-sequence relfilenode. In a way, it's a way to skip (some)
>> unnecessary relfilenodes.
>
> Ah! The comment is correct but cryptic. I didn't read it to mean this.

OK, I'll improve the comment.

>>> +    /*
>>> +     * To support logical decoding of sequences, we require the sequence
>>> +     * callback. We decide it here, but only check it later in the wrappers.
>>> +     *
>>> +     * XXX Isn't it wrong to define only one of those callbacks? Say we
>>> +     * only define the stream_sequence_cb() - that may get strange results
>>> +     * depending on what gets streamed. Either none or both?
>>> +     *
>>> +     * XXX Shouldn't sequence be defined at slot creation time, similar
>>> +     * to two_phase? Probably not.
>>> +     */
>>>
>>> Do you intend to keep these XXX's as is? My previous comments on this comment
>>> block are in [1].
>
> This comment remains unanswered.

I think the conclusion was we don't need to do that. I forgot to remove
the comment, though.

>>> In fact, given that whether or not sequences are replicated is decided by the
>>> protocol version, do we really need LogicalDecodingContext::sequences? Drawing
>>> parallel with WAL messages, I don't think it's needed.
>>>

>> Right. We do that for two_phase because you can override that when
>> creating the subscription - sequences allowed that too initially, but
>> then we ditched that. So I don't think we need this.
>
> Then we should just remove that member and its references.

The member is still needed - it says whether the plugin has callbacks
for sequence decoding or not (just like we have a flag for streaming,
for example). I see the XXX comment in sequence_decode() is no longer
needed, we rely on protocol versioning.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra