Re: [HACKERS] expanding inheritance in partition bound order

От Amit Langote
Тема Re: [HACKERS] expanding inheritance in partition bound order
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2017/08/17 13:56, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 17, 2017 at 8:06 AM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>> On 2017/08/17 11:22, Robert Haas wrote:

>>> I suggest inhpartitioned or inhispartition.  inhchildpartitioned seems too long.
>>
>> inhchildpartitioned indeed seems long.
>>
>> Since we storing if the child table (one with the OID inhrelid) is
>> partitioned, inhpartitioned seems best to me.  Will implement that.
>
> inhchildpartitioned is long but clearly tells that the child table is
> partitioned, not the parent. pg_inherit can have parents which are not
> partitioned, so it's better to have self-explanatory catalog name. I
> am fine with some other name as long as it's clear.

OTOH, the pg_inherits field that stores the OID of the child table does
not mention "child" in its name (inhrelid), although you are right that
inhpartitioned can be taken to mean that the inheritance parent
(inhparent) is partitioned.  In any case, system catalog documentation
which clearly states what's what might be the best guide for the confused.

Of course, we can add a comment in pg_inherits.h next to the field
explaining what it is for those reading the source code and confused about
what inhpartitioned means.

Thanks,
Amit