Re: MultiXactId error after upgrade to 9.3.4

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: MultiXactId error after upgrade to 9.3.4
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On April 23, 2014 8:51:21 PM CEST, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>Bruce Momjian wrote:
>could arise.
>just
>this tuple
>solution is

>cause?
>> >
>> > I don't know.  Is it possible that XMAX_IS_MULTI got set because of
>> > cosmic rays?  At this point that's the only explanation that makes
>sense
>> > to me.  And I'm not sure what to do about this until we know more
>--
>> > more user reports of this problem, for instance.
>> >
>> > I don't see any reasonable way to distinguish this particular kind
>of
>> > multixact-out-of-bounds situation from any other, so not sure what
>else
>> > to log either (you can see that we already emit an error message.)
>>
>> I guess I am lost then.  I thought it supressed the error.  What does
>> the patch do?
>
>You're right, it does.  I am not sure I would apply it.

I think this patch is a seriously bad idea. For one, it's not actually doing anything about the problem - the tuple can
beaccessed without freezing getting involved. For another, it will increase wall traffic for freezing of short lived
tuplesconsiderably, without any benefit.

Andres

--
Please excuse brevity and formatting - I am writing this on my mobile phone.