Re: MultiXactId error after upgrade to 9.3.4

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: MultiXactId error after upgrade to 9.3.4
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andres Freund wrote:

> I think this patch is a seriously bad idea. For one, it's not actually
> doing anything about the problem - the tuple can be accessed without
> freezing getting involved.

Normal access other than freeze is not a problem, because other code
paths do check for HEAP_XMAX_INVALID and avoid access to Xmax if that's
set.

> For another, it will increase wall traffic for freezing of short lived
> tuples considerably, without any benefit.

True.  I didn't actually try to run this; it was just for demonstration
purposes.  It'd need some cooperation from heap_tuple_needs_freeze in
order to work at all, for one thing.