Re: Oracle buys Innobase

От John Dean
Тема Re: Oracle buys Innobase
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi

That is terrific news being a former employee of MySQL - Oracle buys
Innobase. I was never a fan of MySQL, personally but when Marten Mikos and
the rest of the business wonks joined the Company I knew then it was time
to get out. I met the author of Innobase once at the first MySQL employees
meeting. I was asked what for an opinion on Heikki Tuuri. I came straight
to point and told Monty and David (Axmark) that Heikki Tuuri can not be
trusted. It seems I was right. Mr Tuuri has no interest in supporting the
OS commumity. His only interest is in making money. My gut feeling now is
that eventually Oracle will buy off Innobase lock stock and barell Then
Innonbase will get consigned to File 13. I now see MySQL heading for a long
slow death; it couldn't happen to a nicer group of people :) Thank God for
PostreSQL

At 18:42 08/10/2005, Jan Wieck wrote:
>On 10/8/2005 12:13 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>>Jan Wieck wrote:
>>>To have a really good position when talking to Oracle, MySQL will need
>>>to brush up on the BDB support, and that pretty quick.
>>What about the patents InnoDB might hold?  It would be easier to enforce
>>a patent based on the fact that they are using code actually developed
>>by the patent holder.
>
>That too.
>
>What strikes me a little odd is how brief the responses from the MySQL
>side are. Marten Mickos welcomes them, does some 2 sentence handwaving
>about licensing and the glorious freedom of open source, and then the rest
>of the statement is the usual blah blah about MySQL that you find in every
>other press release.
>
>It almost seems as if MySQL wasn't exactly prepared for this deal to come
>through - or worse, that they are surprised about it. Although I can't
>believe they wouldn't have known about it in advance.
>

>Jan
>
>--
>#======================================================================#
># It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than for being right. #
># Let's break this rule - forgive me.                                  #

>TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

---

Regards
John Dean,
co-author of Rekall,