Re: Oracle buys Innobase

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Oracle buys Innobase
Дата
Re: Oracle buys Innobase  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
Список pgsql-general
On 10/8/2005 12:13 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Jan Wieck wrote:
>> To have a really good position when talking to Oracle, MySQL will need
>> to brush up on the BDB support, and that pretty quick.
>
> What about the patents InnoDB might hold?  It would be easier to enforce
> a patent based on the fact that they are using code actually developed
> by the patent holder.

That too.

What strikes me a little odd is how brief the responses from the MySQL
side are. Marten Mickos welcomes them, does some 2 sentence handwaving
about licensing and the glorious freedom of open source, and then the
rest of the statement is the usual blah blah about MySQL that you find
in every other press release.

It almost seems as if MySQL wasn't exactly prepared for this deal to
come through - or worse, that they are surprised about it. Although I
can't believe they wouldn't have known about it in advance.

Jan