Re: BUG #18018: Homebrew link is broken

От Daniel Gustafsson
Тема Re: BUG #18018: Homebrew link is broken
Дата
Re: BUG #18018: Homebrew link is broken  ("Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org>)
Список pgsql-bugs
> On 12 Jul 2023, at 15:45, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On 7/12/23 8:49 AM, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
>>> On 11 Jul 2023, at 20:14, Gurjeet Singh <gurjeet@singh.im> wrote:

>>> Perhaps this webpage can provide the brew command to list available
>>> formulae, and advise to install one from the result.
>> I'm not sure it's worth complicating this too much, including brew commands
>> means we need to keep up with brew development to make they are still relevant.
>
> We do include commands for other installed (dnf/yum; apt), and we do provide commands (albeit generic) for installing
fromsome of the distros (see "Included in Distribution").

We do, but only for packages provided by repos hosted by postgresql.org so I
kind of consider them special cases.

> Additionally, given the way it's structured, we'd have to update it for every major release anyway,

Ideally, but considering we have this on the Debian installation page it's not
something we are super consistent with =)

    apt-get install postgresql-12

The page does say "substitute the version number as required" but still.

> so we may as well list out the command if we're going to keep showing Homebrew on the downloads page.

Fair enough, and ftr I think we should keep Homebrew on the page.

+  You can use <a href="https://formulae.brew.sh">Homebrew Formulae</a> to
+  search for PostgreSQL and other packages. To find a specific major version of
+  represents the major version. For example,

I would probably opt for leaving out the details only keeping the first
sentence, that way we aren't exposed to homebrew changing things in package
naming.

--
Daniel Gustafsson

От: "Jonathan S. Katz"
Сообщение: Re: BUG #18018: Homebrew link is broken
От: Cory Albrecht
Сообщение: Re: BUG #17977: PorstGreSQL in a jail crashes randomly with Signal 10 bus error