Re: How to enable automatic md5 password prompting when connecting to PostgreSQL

От John DeSoi
Тема Re: How to enable automatic md5 password prompting when connecting to PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi Tom,

On Mar 11, 2005, at 8:27 AM, Tom Wallick wrote:

> You stated to 'add' the line in this file under
> 'local'
> but there is a line there already as you can see,
> which
> has values 'local' 'all' 'all' 'trust' set already.
>
> Do I add the line you recommended right after that
> line and leave the one before it ( the 'local' 'all'
> 'all' 'trust' ) intact? Or do I remove it.

The 'trust' option here is what allows any access without providing a
password. If I recall correctly, you can add the new line before the
existing one so that the change will only impact the database 'movies'
(it uses the first line that "matches"). If you want all local
databases to require a password, change 'trust' to 'password' or 'md5'.

> Can I leave that line there just for safekeeping? And
> add the line you recommend after it?

Sure, keep any line by making it a comment -- start the line with #.

> Lastly, I take it when you mean signal or restart
> PostgreSQL I can just reboot my machine, because I
> have PostgreSQL 8.0.1 successfully started at boot
> time through the Sys V init scripts as stated in the
> PostgreSQL INSTALL file that came with the source
> code.

Restarting the machine is just fine. But in cases where you want to
keep the database operational and have configuration file changes take
effect, you signal the postmaster process. You can use the pg_ctl
program with the reload option. Here are the details for pg_ctl:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/app-pg-ctl.html

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL