Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 01:00:31 +0100, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Tomeh, Husam wrote:
> > I've seen book that prefer installing PostgreSQL as root and another
> > one recommends otherwise by first creating a postgres account and
> > then installing it as postgres. In the Oracle world, you don't use
> > root to install the software. What is the best practice as far as
> > PostgreSQL goes?
>
> The current recommendation, which is reflected in the installation
> instructions, is to install the software as root and to use the
> postgres user for the database files.  The advice seen elsewhere in
> this thread to use the postgres user also for the software files is
> wrong.

As a security professional, why would the root user need to be
involved in the ownership of PostgreSQL?  I see no reason for this,
but perhaps I'm missing something important.

Chris
--
| Christopher Petrilli
| petrilli@gmail.com

Сообщение: Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!
Сообщение: Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!