Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
>>The current recommendation, which is reflected in the installation
>>instructions, is to install the software as root and to use the
>>postgres user for the database files.  The advice seen elsewhere in
>>this thread to use the postgres user also for the software files is
>>wrong.
>>

>As a security professional, why would the root user need to be
>involved in the ownership of PostgreSQL?

The root does not need to be involved. You don't even
have to be root to install it ;). The only possible reason
I can come up with is that if the root user (or any other
user for that matter) owns the installation files, then
the postgres user would not be able to accidently delete
something.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> I see no reason for this,
>but perhaps I'm missing something important.
>
>Chris

Вложения

От: Darcy Buskermolen
Сообщение: Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!
От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: Installing PostgreSQL as "postgress" versus "root" Debate!