Re: Fix for REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW ownership error message

От Jonathan S. Katz
Тема Re: Fix for REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW ownership error message
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Aug 18, 2018, at 5:48 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>
> Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> writes:
>> This is a simple fix why push back ?
>
> What was being pushed back on, I think, was the claim that this needed to
> be back-patched.  I'd be inclined not to, since (a) the message is not
> wrong, only less specific than it could be,

I know I’m being pedantic on this one, but “technically” not wrong, it’s still
incomplete to a user. But...

> and (b) people tend to get
> annoyed by unnecessary behavior changes in released branches.

I will agree with this - thinking about it, people have have coded their apps
to work with the existing message and may have logic around handling it.

I don’t know how likely that is, but I’m willing to err on the side of caution.

> There might be an argument for putting it into v11, but not further back.

I’m fine with that.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Fix for REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW ownership error message
Сообщение: Re: Fix for REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW ownership error message