Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On 07/14/2016 09:14 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 5:11 PM, Andy Astor <andya@bigsql.com> wrote:
>>
>> I believe it is appropriate to allow some leeway to differentiate offerings
>> on these pages, provided they are brief, fact-based, and understated. Such

Fair enough.

>> differentiations provide the community with useful information. If all the
>> offerings are instead presented identically, then a new user would have to
>> click-through to each company site to understand the differences, which

Except:

1. .Org should not be in the business of marketing products
2. these products are essentially the same (not kind of, not sort of,
just two different companies vying for click-through traffic)

>> carries at least two problems. First, it adds friction and inconvenience to
>> the user experience. Second, there would be no balanced presentation of the
>> options; only marketing.

Incorrect at least currently, unless you can demonstrably show that
there are distinct differences in the offerings between EDB and
OpenSCG/BigSQL.

*If* there is a value added user experience that is significant and
demonstrable between these two packages, AWESOME! What is it? Then they
can be distinct on the pages.

> With a peer-reviewed patch system such as the one
>> we have, we drive companies toward fact-based statements, which I think is
>> very valuable to the community.

Agreed.

That said, I am done fighting about this. I have more fun things to do
and CMD doesn't have a stake in this game. Let those who have to apply
the patches worry about it.

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/                        +1-503-667-4564

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
Сообщение: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages