Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages

От Andy Astor
Тема Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
Дата
Список pgsql-www
OK, I’ll take the bait, even tho you said you’re done fighting about it. Just for fun…

There are definitely differences between the offerings. Of course, they’re all Postgres at the core, and that is 99% of
thefundamental value. But the question then is what the offerings add around PostgreSQL. Whether it’s EDB’s stuff or
BigSQL’sstuff or others, there are definitely differences in features, integrations, ease of use, and more. And of
course,we’re better ;-)

<Before *anyone* takes offense, that was joke.>

Andy

—
Andy Astor
OpenSCG / BigSQL
+1.415.213.2500

> On Jul 14, 2016, at 9:25 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> On 07/14/2016 09:14 AM, Dave Page wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 5:11 PM, Andy Astor <andya@bigsql.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I believe it is appropriate to allow some leeway to differentiate offerings
>>> on these pages, provided they are brief, fact-based, and understated. Such
>
> Fair enough.
>

>>> differentiations provide the community with useful information. If all the
>>> offerings are instead presented identically, then a new user would have to
>>> click-through to each company site to understand the differences, which
>
> Except:
>
> 1. .Org should not be in the business of marketing products
> 2. these products are essentially the same (not kind of, not sort of, just two different companies vying for
click-throughtraffic)

>>> carries at least two problems. First, it adds friction and inconvenience to
>>> the user experience. Second, there would be no balanced presentation of the
>>> options; only marketing.
>
> Incorrect at least currently, unless you can demonstrably show that there are distinct differences in the offerings
betweenEDB and OpenSCG/BigSQL.

> *If* there is a value added user experience that is significant and demonstrable between these two packages, AWESOME!
Whatis it? Then they can be distinct on the pages.

>> With a peer-reviewed patch system such as the one
>>> we have, we drive companies toward fact-based statements, which I think is
>>> very valuable to the community.
>>

> Agreed.
>
> That said, I am done fighting about this. I have more fun things to do and CMD doesn't have a stake in this game. Let
thosewho have to apply the patches worry about it.

> Sincerely,
>
> JD
>

> --
> Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/
>                        +1-503-667-4564
> PostgreSQL Centered full stack support, consulting and development.
> Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you are honest with them.

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: Andy Astor
Сообщение: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages