Re: BUG #13846: INSERT ON CONFLICT consumes sequencers onconflicts

От Paul
Тема Re: BUG #13846: INSERT ON CONFLICT consumes sequencers onconflicts
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
If none of the columns with defaults are used to detect conflicts, why must=
 they be evaluated before conflict detection in order to reliably detect a =
conflict?

Lots of systems categorize information into =E2=80=98organizational=E2=80=
=99 data that may be hierarchical in nature and fairly static, in relation =
to the other =E2=80=98operational=E2=80=99 kind of data, which is usually g=
enerated from events; those events being organized by the former for batchi=
ng and reporting purposes, etc. It is often the case UPSERTS are most usefu=
l when deriving the organizational data from the operational data, meaning =
a very typical usage of an UPSERT would have many more updates than inserts=
, in direct correlation to the number of events being processed. Its not un=
reasonable over a relatively short period of time (within the overall lifet=
ime of a particular system) to process billions of events, meaning SERIAL t=
yped columns used as surrogate keys to the natural keys of organizational d=
ata could exhaust their sequencers for no good reason, and SMALLSERIAL just=
 wouldn=E2=80=99t be usable, BIGSERIAL could work, but they=E2=80=99re, uhm=
.. BIG.

There should be a way to not evaluate defaulted columns not used in the con=
flict_target, so that SERIAL typed columns not used for conflict detection =
don=E2=80=99t unnecessary exhaust their sequencers=E2=80=A6. (I think that =
was like a quadruple-negative sentence there=E2=80=A6, sorry about that)

Regards,
Paul