Re: Certification

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: Certification
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On 10/29/2015 02:43 AM, Michael Meskes wrote:
> Also, since this may result in us taking about content, I think we should
> create a dedicated and non-public mailing list for it. Or else it might not be
> worth the effort. How would this actually be handled?

I think this should be a closed list run by the Linux Foundation.

Because some members of the community have a conflict of interest, I'm
not certain we can have a certification endorsed by "the whole community".

I would be willing to review the test questions (and suggest some), as
well as reviewing overall coverage.

However, the first question we should have with this is "what problem
are we solving?"

That is, are the EnterpriseDB/SRA/etc. certifications not good enough?
Not widely available enough or available in enough languages?  Do people
not believe in them because they are offered by support companies?

If there isn't an actual problem to be solved, then it seems like it
would be better to leave certification to commercial entities as a way
to make money off PostgreSQL.  If there is a deficiency, we need to make
sure that an LF certification will address that specific deficiency.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.