Re: recent Gartner's publication

От Gunnar \"Nick\" Bluth
Тема Re: recent Gartner's publication
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy

Am 16.10.2015 um 16:17 schrieb damien@dalibo.info:
> 16 octobre 2015 09:42 "Gabriele Bartolini"
> <gabriele.bartolini@2ndquadrant.it> a écrit:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Do you think it could be possible/worth for the Community to take
>> a step forward in order to have "PostgreSQL" in Gartner's magic
>> quadrant?
>>

> Is it worth it ?
>
> As far as I can tell in France this thing as no impact at all.
> There are some journalists that may talk about it from time to
> time, but otherwise I've never seen anyone making a reference to
> that ranking and I'm pretty sure it has no effect on the people
> here. Maybe it's different in other countries though...

Uhm, well, I sent a link to an online article (by some EDB staff)
mentioning this very Gartner study to one of my managers the other
day, and both are now circling in the upper management, AFAIK.

As much as I don't like what Gartner do (esp. in this case), large
companies' managements seem to adore them, and it _can_ have impact.

As a sidenote: it is pretty typical that Gartner rather features an
american, VC-backed (correct me if I'm wrong) company instead of a
community as a whole... afterall, part of Gartner's customers are
_also_ looking for investment opportunities, or they seek to get
"support straight from the source".
"... is the major contributor to XYZ" or "... is the company behind
the popular open source product XYZ". That's wording those people know
from the past & present (MySQL AB, Hortonworks, Datastax, <endless
list here>,...), so they _think_ they understand the "business model"
of Postgres.

And I can't really blame EDB that they've not set that straight right
away. It would probably be very tedious to explain it to Gartner in
the first place, it's absolutely not too far away from the truth (are
there any reasonable statistics?!?), it's more or less only marketing,
and it certainly is a very good marketing instrument for _approaching_
potential PAS customers (i.e., those with loads of Oracle and a
somewhat larger management structure).

Just my 2(€)c.
- --
Gunnar "Nick" Bluth
RHCE/SCLA

Mobil +49 172 8853339
Email: gunnar.bluth@pro-open.de
In 1984 mainstream users were choosing VMS over UNIX.
Ten years later they are choosing Windows over UNIX.
What part of that message aren't you getting? - Tom Payne

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: recent Gartner's publication
Сообщение: Re: recent Gartner's publication