Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1T : any good for PostgreSQL?

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1T : any good for PostgreSQL?
Дата
Re: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1T : any good for PostgreSQL?  (Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@elevated-dev.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hello,

we maintain a DB of nearly 500GB of data (and always getting larger), and we are currently thinking of moving to SSD.
I have read Greg Smith's book on PostgreSQL 9.0 High Performance and his considerations on SSD and the way that write
backworks.

This particular model (Samsung SSD 850 PRO 1T) does not employ any special circuitry, battery or capacitor
to enforce that the data are really flushed to the medium.

What is your take on this? Is it dangerous to have PgSQL on this disk especially in cases of power outages? (we have
fullUPS support, however nothing can be overlooked, anything can happen)

Thank you

--
Achilleas Mantzios
Head of IT DEV