Re: Add Missing From?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Add Missing From?
Дата
Re: Add Missing From?  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> Well, as yall have pointed out, the feature is not sql spec (for some
> reason I thought it had been put in) so since the update syntax seems
> quite similar to oracles, perhaps they can provide a pointer on delete
> syntax as well?  I can't seem to find my oracle syntax book, anyone
> have one handy ?

Didn't get any Oracle hits in a quick google, but I did find out that
MySQL spells it USING:
DELETE FROM target_tbl USING other_tbls WHERE ...

This isn't a particularly compelling precedent seeing that (a) MySQL
doesn't use our flavor of UPDATE syntax and (b) they only adopted the
above in 4.0.2.  But it's better than no precedent.  And frankly I
was having a big problem with "DELETE FROM target FROM others ..."
If that's not a recipe for confusion I don't know what is.