Re: PL/pgSQL 2

От Álvaro Hernández Tortosa
Тема Re: PL/pgSQL 2
Дата
Re: PL/pgSQL 2  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 02/09/14 23:34, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On 09/02/2014 02:11 PM, David Johnston wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com
>> <mailto:jd@commandprompt.com>>wrote:
>>

>>     On 09/02/2014 09:48 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>
>>             As a case in point, EDB have spent quite a few man-years on
>>             their Oracle
>>             compatibility layer; and it's still not a terribly exact
>>             match, according
>>             to my colleagues who have looked at it.  So that is a
>>             tarbaby I don't
>>             personally care to touch ... even ignoring the fact that
>>             cutting off
>>             EDB's air supply wouldn't be a good thing for the community
>>             to do.
>>

>>     What any commercial entity and the Community do are mutually
>>     exclusive and we can not and should not determine what features we
>>     will support based on any commercial endeavor.
>>

>> ​From where I sit the "mutually exclusive" argument doesn't seem to be
>> true - and in fact is something I think would be bad if it were.  We
>> shouldn't be afraid to add features to core that vendors are offering
>> but at the same time the fact that the Oracle compatibility aspects are
>> commercial instead of in-core is a plus to help ensure that there are
>> people making a decent living off PostgreSQL and thus are invested in
>
> Far more people make a very good living off of PostgreSQL than *any*
> commercial variant. I stand by what I said. It is not the
> responsibility or the care of the community what a commercial vendor
> does or does not do with their fork except, possibly to implement the
> open source equivalent where it makes sense or where licensing may not
> be followed. (Read: I don't care about oracle compatibility)

    Yeah, we differ there. I think having an Oracle compatibility layer
in PostgreSQL would be the-next-big-thing we could have. Oracle is has
orders of magnitude bigger user base than postgres has; and having the
ability to attract them would bring us many many more users which, in
turn, would benefit us all very significantly.
    It would be my #1 priority to do in postgres (but yes, I know
-guess- how hard and what resources that would require). But dreaming is
free :)
    Álvaro