Re: PL/pgSQL 2

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: PL/pgSQL 2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 09/02/2014 02:11 PM, David Johnston wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2014 at 4:48 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com
> <mailto:jd@commandprompt.com>>wrote:
>

>     On 09/02/2014 09:48 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>             As a case in point, EDB have spent quite a few man-years on
>             their Oracle
>             compatibility layer; and it's still not a terribly exact
>             match, according
>             to my colleagues who have looked at it.  So that is a
>             tarbaby I don't
>             personally care to touch ... even ignoring the fact that
>             cutting off
>             EDB's air supply wouldn't be a good thing for the community
>             to do.
>

>     What any commercial entity and the Community do are mutually
>     exclusive and we can not and should not determine what features we
>     will support based on any commercial endeavor.
>

> ​From where I sit the "mutually exclusive" argument doesn't seem to be
> true - and in fact is something I think would be bad if it were.  We
> shouldn't be afraid to add features to core that vendors are offering
> but at the same time the fact that the Oracle compatibility aspects are
> commercial instead of in-core is a plus to help ensure that there are
> people making a decent living off PostgreSQL and thus are invested in

Far more people make a very good living off of PostgreSQL than *any*
commercial variant. I stand by what I said. It is not the responsibility
or the care of the community what a commercial vendor does or does not
do with their fork except, possibly to implement the open source
equivalent where it makes sense or where licensing may not be followed.
(Read: I don't care about oracle compatibility)

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc
"If we send our children to Caesar for their education, we should             not be surprised when they come back as
Romans."