Re: WAL segment management on a standby

От John Scalia
Тема Re: WAL segment management on a standby
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thanks Craig, I didn't know about pg_archivecleanup. (it's hard to figure out every utility when you're not given the
timeto thoroughly study the system.)

I altered the recovery.conf per the suggestion on the documentation page for it. It does seem a little aggresive, but
I'mguessing that because all the transactions have been
recorded from the streaming walreceiver.  If I might, I'd like to ask one final question on this matter. In looking
throughthe standby after configuring this and restarting the
system, the log file shows a few warnings.

First, it whined about no history.0000004 file, which as the last WAL segment is 0000000030000000E00000004E, I'm
guessingthe standby thought the timeline might have been changed,
but it was not. Then, it complained about no history.00000003 file in the archive area. This file had already been
copiedup into pg_xlog and deleted from the archive. Finally, the
last complaint was that it couldn't find 0000000030000000E00000004F in the archive. It appears that under streaming a
standbyserver will write concurrently with the primary any
WAL segment the primary is still generating. I say this as that missing WAL segment ("...4F") was already in the
pg_xlogdirectory, but it hadn't yet made it into the archive area.
Eventually, 10 minutes later, 4F did appear in the archive. Is my interpretation here correct, that a standby will
concurrentlywrite a WAL segment in streaming replication mode?

I just want to be able to explain this thoroughly to my QA folks.
--
Jay