Re: 9.4 release notes

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: 9.4 release notes
Дата
Re: 9.4 release notes
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/05/2014 07:16 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Mon, May  5, 2014 at 10:58:57AM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
>> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
>>> How about:
>>>
>>>     This data type allows for faster access to values in the json document
>>> and faster and more useful indexing of json.
>> We should refer to the fact that jsonb is internally typed. This isn't
>> all that obvious now, but it is evident for example when you sort a
>> set of raw scalar numeric jsonb values, which has a sane ordering (the
>> implementation invokes numeric_cmp()). You also get an internal,
>> per-number-scalar display scale, just like the numeric type proper.
>> I'm not all that sure about how to go about succinctly expressing
>> this, but clearly it's important.
> Current text is:
>
>     Add structured (non-text) data type (JSONB) for storing JSON data (Oleg
>     Bartunov, Teodor Sigaev, Alexander Korotkov, Peter Geoghegan, and Andrew
>     Dunstan)
>
>     This allows for faster access to values in the JSON document and faster
>     and more useful indexing of JSON.  JSONB values are also typed as
>     appropriate scalar SQL types.
>
> Is that OK?

No. If you must say something then start the last sentence with "Scalar
values in JSONB documents are typed ...". Personally, I think we're
making too much of this. After all, everything that's not a number or
boolean is typed as text (just as it is in JSON). We don't, for example,
map anything to timestamp types.

cheers

andrew