Re: 9.4 release notes

От Peter Geoghegan
Тема Re: 9.4 release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 4:26 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> After all, everything that's not a number or boolean is typed as text (just
> as it is in JSON). We don't, for example, map anything to timestamp types.

JSON doesn't have a timestamp primitive type. Of those types that it
has, their internal representation, and their behavior in all relevant
contexts is more or less consistent with what you'd expect of the
mapped-to type. I think that's a very significant point - you will be
able to extract numerics, and manipulate them as numerics in a future
release without using text casting hacks. null values are not typed as
text either. Besides, the on-disk representation of numeric is quite a
lot more compact, and this could easily matter.

--
Peter Geoghegan