Re: Problem with PostgreSQL 9.2.7 and make check on AIX 7.1

От Rainer Tammer
Тема Re: Problem with PostgreSQL 9.2.7 and make check on AIX 7.1
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
Hello,
First of all: Thanks for the reply.

1. fast shutdown

The unexpected  "LOG: received fast shutdown request" is happening
on an installed instance. I have found other articles on the WEB which
describe the same problem (other platform) - unfortunately there was
no real solution to it.

I am not too familiar with the PostgreSQL source code, but the only
location where this message is generated is:

---[postmaster.c]-------
/*
 * pmdie -- signal handler for processing various postmaster signals.
 */
static void
pmdie(SIGNAL_ARGS)
{
   case SIGINT:

         /*
          * Fast Shutdown:
          *
          * Abort all children with SIGTERM (rollback active transactions
          * and exit) and shut down when they are gone.
          */
         if (Shutdown >= FastShutdown)
                 break;
         Shutdown = FastShutdown;
         ereport(LOG,
                         (errmsg("received fast shutdown request")));
<------ HERE

        if (DLGetHead(BackendList) || AutoVacPID != 0)
         {
                 if (!FatalError)
                 {
                         ereport(LOG,
                                         (errmsg("aborting any active
transactions")));
                         SignalChildren(SIGTERM);
                         if (AutoVacPID != 0)
                                 signal_child(AutoVacPID, SIGTERM);
                         /* reaper() does the rest */
                 }
                 break;
         }

---[postmaster.c]-------

I will try to add some code to get the source of the signal.
Would this help?

2. hang during make check

AIX 7.1 Technology Level 3

PostgreSQL 8.4.20 -> make check does finish without hang
PostgreSQL 9.0.16 -> hang
PostgreSQL 9.2.7 -> hang

As far as I can see the hang is caused by the "set statement_timeout to
2000;"
statement. Where would be a good start point to diagnose this problem??

Would this place be a good start?
Al have already checked if HAVE_SETSID is ausing the problem - unfortunately
that's not the case.

---[src/backend/storage/lmgr/proc.c]------
bool
enable_sig_alarm(int delayms, bool is_statement_timeout)
{
        TimestampTz fin_time;
        struct itimerval timeval;

        if (is_statement_timeout)
        {
static bool
CheckStatementTimeout(void)
{
        TimestampTz now;

        if (!statement_timeout_active)
                return true;                    /* do nothing if not
active */

        now = GetCurrentTimestamp();

        if (now >= statement_fin_time)
        {
                /* Time to die */
                statement_timeout_active = false;
                cancel_from_timeout = true;
#ifdef HAVE_SETSID
                /* try to signal whole process group */
                kill(-MyProcPid, SIGINT);
#endif
                kill(MyProcPid, SIGINT);

---[src/backend/storage/lmgr/proc.c]------

AIX 6.1 Technology Level 6

PostgreSQL 9.2.7 -> make check does finish without a hang.

That is strange. I will try to get a box with the latest AIX 6.1
Technology Level to check is the test will pass, too.

3. Smoker

There are several possibilities to setup a smoker.

a.) IBM does provide Power 7/7+ machines with Power Linux and AIX
6.1/7.1. As far as I know the access is free

This is the URL:
http://www-304.ibm.com/partnerworld/wps/servlet/ContentHandler/stg_com_sys_power-development-platform

Maybe I can help with the setup.

b.) Maybe I can setup a smoker

Is external access to the smoker required?

Bye
  Rainer Tammer