Re: A Simple web application

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: A Simple web application
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 01/27/2014 07:19 AM, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 27/01/2014 15:16, Edson Richter wrote:

>>> Right, and as a hint: dont store the AGE of a person, store the
>>> birthdate instead.
>>>

>>> Andreas
>> Another hint: don't store "sex" (do/don't do?), but "gender" (even
>> better if tristate: male/female/not informed or "other").
>> I already had lots of trouble with customers asking me to adjust my
>> systems to this new "situation", then I've to change systems and
>> database...
> +1 to this... there was a lengthy thread on this list some years ago on
> this very subject, and it was an eye-opener to see the possibilities
> that emerged.
>
> Ray.

Actually, to be pedantic, use whichever is appropriate to your use-case.

If you are looking at biological/physiological attributes (chromosomes,
hormones, testicular-cancer, ...), use "sex."

If you are tracking social attributes or characteristics (preferred
dress-style, sexual-preference, income, prevalence in various
professional roles, etc.), use "gender."

See http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/

Either way, an expandable lookup-table may end up being useful. Just
when you think you are strictly dealing with "sex" and you hard-code for
"male" and "female", someone will show up and ask you to rewrite your
code to account for chimeras
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_%28genetics%29).

Cheers,
Steve

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 9.2.4 using large amount of memory
От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: A Simple web application