Обсуждение: A Simple web application

A Simple web application

От
Manoj Soni
Дата:
Dear All
I am new to this list and postgres

I have configured postgresql on my laptop. I want to make a simple web application that saves the data in database in table demog, which has three fields

Name, Age and Sex

I have created the table and fields.

I have Netbeans IDE also installed.
and Tomcat.

Which tutorial, may help me in this regard.

thanks and Regards

--
Manoj , India

Re: A Simple web application

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 27/01/2014 12:11, Manoj Soni wrote:
> Dear All
> I am new to this list and postgres
>

> I have configured postgresql on my laptop. I want to make a simple web
> application that saves the data in database in table demog, which has
> three fields
>
> Name, Age and Sex
>
> I have created the table and fields.
>

> I have Netbeans IDE also installed.
> and Tomcat.
>
> Which tutorial, may help me in this regard.

I did a Google search on "tomcat netbeans postgresql tutorial" and
turned up some likely-looking links.... should work for you too. :-)

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: A Simple web application

От
Andreas Kretschmer
Дата:
Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:

> On 27/01/2014 12:11, Manoj Soni wrote:
> >
> > Name, Age and Sex
> > Which tutorial, may help me in this regard.
>
> I did a Google search on "tomcat netbeans postgresql tutorial" and
> turned up some likely-looking links.... should work for you too. :-)

Right, and as a hint: dont store the AGE of a person, store the
birthdate instead.

Andreas

Re: A Simple web application

От
Edson Richter
Дата:
Em 27/01/2014 10:42, Andreas Kretschmer escreveu:
> Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
>
>> On 27/01/2014 12:11, Manoj Soni wrote:
>>> Name, Age and Sex
>>> Which tutorial, may help me in this regard.
>> I did a Google search on "tomcat netbeans postgresql tutorial" and
>> turned up some likely-looking links.... should work for you too. :-)
> Right, and as a hint: dont store the AGE of a person, store the
> birthdate instead.
>

> Andreas

Another hint: don't store "sex" (do/don't do?), but "gender" (even
better if tristate: male/female/not informed or "other").
I already had lots of trouble with customers asking me to adjust my
systems to this new "situation", then I've to change systems and database...

Regards,

Edson Richter

Re: A Simple web application

От
Raymond O'Donnell
Дата:
On 27/01/2014 15:16, Edson Richter wrote:
> Em 27/01/2014 10:42, Andreas Kretschmer escreveu:
>> Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:

>>> I did a Google search on "tomcat netbeans postgresql tutorial" and
>>> turned up some likely-looking links.... should work for you too. :-)
>> Right, and as a hint: dont store the AGE of a person, store the
>> birthdate instead.
>>

>> Andreas
>
> Another hint: don't store "sex" (do/don't do?), but "gender" (even
> better if tristate: male/female/not informed or "other").
> I already had lots of trouble with customers asking me to adjust my
> systems to this new "situation", then I've to change systems and
> database...

+1 to this... there was a lengthy thread on this list some years ago on
this very subject, and it was an eye-opener to see the possibilities
that emerged.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Re: A Simple web application

От
Edson Richter
Дата:
Em 27/01/2014 13:19, Raymond O'Donnell escreveu:
> On 27/01/2014 15:16, Edson Richter wrote:

>>> Right, and as a hint: dont store the AGE of a person, store the
>>> birthdate instead.
>>>

>>> Andreas
>> Another hint: don't store "sex" (do/don't do?), but "gender" (even
>> better if tristate: male/female/not informed or "other").
>> I already had lots of trouble with customers asking me to adjust my
>> systems to this new "situation", then I've to change systems and
>> database...
> +1 to this... there was a lengthy thread on this list some years ago on
> this very subject, and it was an eye-opener to see the possibilities
> that emerged.
>
> Ray.

Yes - indeed, this is so complex, that my current mapping is a
One-to-many mapping with a aux "gender" table - so each customer would
add as many options as they want.

Regards,

Edson

Re: A Simple web application

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 01/27/2014 07:19 AM, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 27/01/2014 15:16, Edson Richter wrote:

>>> Right, and as a hint: dont store the AGE of a person, store the
>>> birthdate instead.
>>>

>>> Andreas
>>
>> Another hint: don't store "sex" (do/don't do?), but "gender" (even
>> better if tristate: male/female/not informed or "other").
>> I already had lots of trouble with customers asking me to adjust my
>> systems to this new "situation", then I've to change systems and
>> database...
>
> +1 to this... there was a lengthy thread on this list some years ago on
> this very subject, and it was an eye-opener to see the possibilities
> that emerged.

Agreed, that thread had me diving back into my biology textbooks. Turns
out they only partially covered the topic.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: A Simple web application

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
On 01/27/2014 07:19 AM, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:
> On 27/01/2014 15:16, Edson Richter wrote:

>>> Right, and as a hint: dont store the AGE of a person, store the
>>> birthdate instead.
>>>

>>> Andreas
>> Another hint: don't store "sex" (do/don't do?), but "gender" (even
>> better if tristate: male/female/not informed or "other").
>> I already had lots of trouble with customers asking me to adjust my
>> systems to this new "situation", then I've to change systems and
>> database...
> +1 to this... there was a lengthy thread on this list some years ago on
> this very subject, and it was an eye-opener to see the possibilities
> that emerged.
>
> Ray.

Actually, to be pedantic, use whichever is appropriate to your use-case.

If you are looking at biological/physiological attributes (chromosomes,
hormones, testicular-cancer, ...), use "sex."

If you are tracking social attributes or characteristics (preferred
dress-style, sexual-preference, income, prevalence in various
professional roles, etc.), use "gender."

See http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/

Either way, an expandable lookup-table may end up being useful. Just
when you think you are strictly dealing with "sex" and you hard-code for
"male" and "female", someone will show up and ask you to rewrite your
code to account for chimeras
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_%28genetics%29).

Cheers,
Steve

Re: A Simple web application

От
Adrian Klaver
Дата:
On 01/27/2014 09:30 AM, Steve Crawford wrote:
> On 01/27/2014 07:19 AM, Raymond O'Donnell wrote:

>>> Another hint: don't store "sex" (do/don't do?), but "gender" (even
>>> better if tristate: male/female/not informed or "other").
>>> I already had lots of trouble with customers asking me to adjust my
>>> systems to this new "situation", then I've to change systems and
>>> database...
>> +1 to this... there was a lengthy thread on this list some years ago on
>> this very subject, and it was an eye-opener to see the possibilities
>> that emerged.
>>
>> Ray.
>>

> Actually, to be pedantic, use whichever is appropriate to your use-case.
>
> If you are looking at biological/physiological attributes (chromosomes,
> hormones, testicular-cancer, ...), use "sex."
>
> If you are tracking social attributes or characteristics (preferred
> dress-style, sexual-preference, income, prevalence in various
> professional roles, etc.), use "gender."
>
> See http://www.who.int/gender/whatisgender/en/
>
> Either way, an expandable lookup-table may end up being useful. Just
> when you think you are strictly dealing with "sex" and you hard-code for
> "male" and "female", someone will show up and ask you to rewrite your
> code to account for chimeras
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_%28genetics%29).

<OT>
Which actually seems not to be fairly normal :

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/21/science/seeing-x-chromosomes-in-a-new-light.html?_r=0

<OT>

--
Adrian Klaver