Re: ANALYZE sampling is too good

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: ANALYZE sampling is too good
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/10/13 2:17 PM, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:
>> But I don't really think this is the right way to go about this.
>> Research papers are going to turn up pretty specialized solutions that
>> are probably patented. We don't even have the basic understanding we
>> need. I suspect a basic textbook chapter on multistage sampling will
>> discuss at least the standard techniques.
>
> I agree that looking for information on block level sampling
> specifically, and its impact on estimation quality is likely to not
> turn up very much, and whatever it does turn up will have patent
> issues.

We have an entire analytics dept. at work that specializes in finding patterns in our data. I might be able to get some
timefrom them to at least provide some guidance here, if the community is interested. They could really only serve in a
consultingrole though.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net