Re: using pg_upgrade on FreeBSD for postgresql installed by ports

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Re: using pg_upgrade on FreeBSD for postgresql installed by ports
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Using the working directory as you wrote might be a good idea (for ephemeral use).
If you want to use the port method, generally you can solve this either by running it inside a jail (pkg -j <jail_id>
installdatabases/postgres93-contrib) , or use the chroot option (pkg -c
<some_other_path> databases/postgres93-contrib)
However, as much as the use of ports/packages in FreeBSD is advocated over the manual installation, still, PostgreSQL
(andits subprojects) are maybe one of the very few software that you normally
want to compile them by hand. I avoid the use of packages for postgresql. They don't give you much ease but restrict
yourflexibility.
So, what you have to do is download the postgresql version you want and compile it, along with its contrib/pg_upgrade
modulein place.  That said, unfortunately, I didn't have much luck in FreeBSD
trying to upgrade from 9.0 to 9.2 one year ago.
You might give it a try tho. Hmm now that i think about it, i would follow the -c (chroot approach) first (the patches
mighthave solved some problems), and if that proves to be a dependency
nightmare, then go to the "working directory" solution, then go manual.

--
Achilleas Mantzios

Сообщение: Re: using pg_upgrade on FreeBSD for postgresql installed by ports
Сообщение: Re: using pg_upgrade on FreeBSD for postgresql installed by ports