Re: Forms for entering data into postgresql

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Forms for entering data into postgresql
Дата
Re: Forms for entering data into postgresql  (Steve Crawford <scrawford@pinpointresearch.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On 10/12/2013 01:14 PM, Vincent Veyron wrote:
> Le samedi 12 octobre 2013 à 12:19 -0700, Chuck Davis a écrit :
>
>> Just for an example:  If you have 500 clients placing one order a
>> browser is an "ok" tool -- probably the tool of choice.  If you have
>> one accounts payable clerk entering 500 orders a browser is a very
>> mean thing to do the your employee unless the entry is simply making
>> selections from a drop down populated from the database; that scenario
>> is not too real-worldish for AP.
>>

> Hi Chuck,
>
> Could you explain the acronym AP?

Accounts Payable.

> I understand that there are lots of situations I have not met yet, so
> this might explain my ignorance, but I don't see what you get from using
> a client-side app over a browser for most databases uses; after all,
> from the user's point of view, it's always tabbing from one field to the
> next (providing the web form is correctly designed, of course)

In the text based systems I am familiar with their where keyboard
shortcuts that took you directly to fields and coding conventions that
allowed direct entry of data. For example at a plumbing supply house I
went to the convention was something like:

pv150el90 = PVC 1.5" ell 90 degree
abs150el90 = ABS 1.5" ell 90 degree

It looks cumbersome, but in the hands of someone experienced in the
system, data entry was very fast. Faster then in any of the newer
software that replaced it.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com