Re: Design proposal: fsync absorb linear slider

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Design proposal: fsync absorb linear slider
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 07/26/2013 11:42 AM, Greg Smith wrote:
> On 7/25/13 6:02 PM, didier wrote:
>> It was surely already discussed but why isn't postresql  writing
>> sequentially its cache in a temporary file?
>
> If you do that, reads of the data will have to traverse that temporary
> file to assemble their data.  You'll make every later reader pay the
> random I/O penalty that's being avoided right now.  Checkpoints are
> already postponing these random writes as long as possible. You have
> to take care of them eventually though.

Well, SSD disks do it in the way proposed by didier (AFAIK), by putting
"random"
fs pages on one large disk page and having an extra index layer for
resolving
random-to-sequential ordering.

I would not dismiss the idea without more tests and discussion.

We could have a system where "checkpoint" does sequential writes of dirty
wal buffers to alternating synced holding files (a "checkpoint log" :) )
and only background writer does random writes with no forced sync at all

--
Hannu Krosing
PostgreSQL Consultant

От: Greg Smith
Сообщение: Re: Design proposal: fsync absorb linear slider
От: Hannu Krosing
Сообщение: Re: Design proposal: fsync absorb linear slider