Re: Design proposal: fsync absorb linear slider

От Greg Smith
Тема Re: Design proposal: fsync absorb linear slider
Дата
Re: Design proposal: fsync absorb linear slider  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@2ndQuadrant.com>)
Re: Design proposal: fsync absorb linear slider  (didier <did447@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 7/25/13 6:02 PM, didier wrote:
> It was surely already discussed but why isn't postresql  writing
> sequentially its cache in a temporary file?

If you do that, reads of the data will have to traverse that temporary
file to assemble their data.  You'll make every later reader pay the
random I/O penalty that's being avoided right now.  Checkpoints are
already postponing these random writes as long as possible. You have to
take care of them eventually though.