Re: Re: Proposal: Store "timestamptz" of database creation on "pg_database"

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Re: Proposal: Store "timestamptz" of database creation on "pg_database"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/3/13 6:34 AM, Hannu Krosing wrote:
>>> If what you want is something close to current unix file time semantics
>>> (ctime, mtime, atime) then why not just create a function to look up
>>> these
>>> attributes on database directory and/or database files ?
>> Because too many things change those. Moving to a different tablespace,
>> a rewriting ALTER TABLE, etc.
> Can't we actually fix these to preserve file creation date like tar does
> and still keep
> unix file semantics ?

I don't think that would be a good idea, because various file system
tools might actually want to look at, say, the mtime to know what to
back up.  Also, none of those file attributes are the *creation* time,
so we wouldn't actually solve the original problem.