Re: Re: Proposal: Store "timestamptz" of database creation on "pg_database"

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: Re: Proposal: Store "timestamptz" of database creation on "pg_database"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/03/2013 02:17 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Hannu Krosing (hannu@krosing.net) wrote:
>> Can't we actually fix these to preserve file creation date like tar
>> does and still keep
>> unix file semantics ?
> I'm not sure that I really see the advantage to trying to use the
> filesystem to keep this information for us..?
If we would treat "database" as a file in this case then it would give
us pre-defined meaning :)
>> So it is as about agreeing on what we actually want this "create time"
>> mean opening a can of worms as tom predicted ?
> I agree that we need to hash out what, exactly, the values mean, but I
> don't think that's a terribly difficult thing to do.
>
>> For example, how would this work in replication context ?
> If it's stored in the database catalogs, this is clear- it's replicated
> just like the catalog, and then you don't have to worry about trying to
> ensure that the file creation timestamp in the filesystem is right...
But then some customer comes and wants it to mean "when was this replica
database created" ?

От: Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Сообщение: Re: Proposal: Store "timestamptz" of database creation on "pg_database"
От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: Proposal: Store "timestamptz" of database creation on "pg_database"