Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker
Дата
Re: PostgreSQL Password Cracker  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>> Yes, I have been feeling we should do that.  Justin pointed out just
>> yesterday that .pgpass is only mentioned in libpq documentation, and in
>> fact there is lots of stuff mentioned in libpq that releates to the
>> other interfaces, so it should be pulled out and put in one place.

> It is difficult to make out which place that would be.  You can duplicate
> the information in every place where an interface or tool that uses libpq
> is documented, but that doesn't seem to be conceptually superior.

Duplicating this info is clearly a losing proposition.  But I think
Bruce is envisioning restructuring the documentation of libpq to
separate out the parts that are only interesting to a programmer using
libpq from the parts that are interesting to a user of a libpq-based
program (for example, all the info about environment variables, conninfo
string syntax, and .pgpass).  Then the docs for interfaces and tools
could cross-reference the "externally visible behavior" section of the
libpq docs --- and this section would make sense to an end user,
without drowning him in details he doesn't care about.