Re: Cannot connect to the database (PG 7.3)

От Michiel Lange
Тема Re: Cannot connect to the database (PG 7.3)
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
OK, I figured it out now:

It is, somehow, not possible to connect as a user which name is completely
numeric. I did a few tests on the same machine, and this is the outcome:

psql -h myhost -d mydb -U postgres -> connects fine
CREATE USER "12345" WITH PASSWORD 'secret';
CREATE USER
\q
psql -h myhost -d mydb -U 12345 -> error
psql -h myhost -d mydb -U "12345" -> error
psql -h myhost -d mydb -U '12345' -> error

psql -h myhost -d mydb -U postgres
DROP USER "12345";
DROP USER
CREATE USER n12345 WITH PASSWORD 'secret';
CREATE USER
\q
psql -h myhost -d mydb -U n12345 -> connects fine!

I think this is a bug, I will report it as one anyways... who knows what
comes from it...
it is not nice that the DBMS does not prevent me from creating a user that
cannot connect...
so either it should be prevented or possible...

But thanks for thinking along with me...

Michiel