Re: 8.4 installer

От David Spadea
Тема Re: 8.4 installer
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Christine,

Sorry for the extra mail. I inadvertently dropped the mailing list from the recipients. Editing a bit and re-sending...

For your first question, I guess it's a matter of opinion and what you really plan on using the database for. If you're just using it for some personal project, it doesn't really matter. For enterprise stuff, I would tend to segregate it out to some standard location outside of Program Files. Some more information about your intended deployment case would help.

As for your error message with initdb:

"C:/Program Files/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/C:PostgresData/postgresql.conf": No such file or directory

I was able to reproduce your error on my machine. Can you please add a backslash to your path after the C: -- e.g. "C:\PostgresData" rather than "C:PostgresData" ?

In the general case, saying "C:PostgresData" tells Windows that PostgresData is a subdirectory of the current working directory on C:. When you use the "\", you tell it that the path is relative to the root of C:. That way it doesn't try to concatenate the current working directory with the given path.

In this case, it seems like initdb is actually taking "C:PostgresData" to be the literal name of the directory. It doesn't even seem to recognize that C: is a drive specifier at all. However, if you say "mkdir C:test", Windows will create a directory called "test" in the current directory of C:

This behavior seems wrong to me, and I think this could be a bug in initdb on Windows.  The current behavior seems to work fine for full path names, or relative names without a drive specifier, but handling of relative paths containing a drive specifier seems to be incorrect. I'd be interested to hear others' takes on it, and whether there's a legitimate reason for this behavior.

---
David Spadea
Spadea Enterprises, Inc
http://www.spadea.net