Re: 8.4 installer

От Christine Penner
Тема Re: 8.4 installer
Дата
Список pgsql-general
David,

1st question: I assume it's better to put the
data directory anywhere but in program files. Is that right?

I had to uninstall, delete stuff and clean things
up and do another install because it was telling
me that initdb.exe was not a valid win32
application. Again I get an empty data directory.
I then ran this line in the command window:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin>initdb.exe -D
C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\data
         I decided to keep the data in program
files (the default directory because I thought
keeping the defaults would work better.

This time I got a bunch of messages saying it was
initializing and creating stuff, then it said it
was successful. It looked like it worked, but it
was the same thing. I didn't copy those messages because I thought it was good.

Again I ran this (this time moving the data
directory outside of program files.)

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.4\bin>initdb.exe -D C:PostgresData
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user "User".

The database cluster will be initialized with locale English_Canada.1252.
The default database encoding has accordingly been set to WIN1252.
The default text search configuration will be set to "english".

creating directory C:\PostgresData ... ok
creating subdirectories ... ok
selecting default max_connections ... 10
selecting default shared_buffers ... 400kB
creating configuration files ... ok
creating template1 database in
C:PostgresData/base/1 ... C:/Program Files/Postgr
eSQL/8.4/bin/postgres.exe cannot access the
server configuration file "C:/Progra
Files/PostgreSQL/8.4/bin/C:PostgresData/postgresql.conf": No such file or dire
ctory
child process exited with exit code 1
initdb: removing data directory "C:PostgresData"