Re: Large Database Restore

От Michael Nolan
Тема Re: Large Database Restore
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On 5/17/07, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

On 05/17/07 16:49, Michael Nolan wrote:
> I don't know if my database is typical (as there probably is no such
> thing), but to restore a full dump (pg_dumpall) takes over 4 hours on my
> backup server, but to restore a low level backup (about 35GB)

Meaning a tarball of $PGDATA?

Actually, it's two different areas because I've got a second tablespace on a separate physical drive for indexes, but yes, it's a tarball of all the files that PG uses, following the procedures in section 23.3 of the documentation.

It works very well, though I still don't understand why, if there are no changes to the warm standby server tables, only queries, it isn't possible to keep restoring WAL files to keep the warm standby server in parallel with the live server.  (I'm guessing there must be SOMETHING that happens at the end of the recovery process, or some time after that, to make the next WAL unprocessable., but I can't figure it out from the docs.)
--
Mike Nolan