Re: starting postgres with an empty px_xlog folder

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: starting postgres with an empty px_xlog folder
Дата
Re: starting postgres with an empty px_xlog folder  (Mike Broers <mbroers@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
On 06/24/2012 03:45 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> As previously stated, make sure you understand how this happened, so
> you can make sure it doesn't happen again.  The contents of the
> pg_xlog directory are an integral part of your database cluster.

People not backing up pg_xlog, deleting its contents, etc happens often
enough that I wonder if it should have a prominent 00_README or
00_WARNING_DONT_DELETE file created by initdb - or simply be renamed to
something scarier like "base_txrecords".

The annoyance of a readme is that it'd need translation.

People are used to logs being disposable. Anyone who's been responsible
for a database should ideally know better than to assume that
*transation* logs are disposable, but everyone has to learn sometime,
and not everybody does so by reading TFM (unfortunately).

--
Craig Ringer