Re: starting postgres with an empty px_xlog folder

От Stuart Bishop
Тема Re: starting postgres with an empty px_xlog folder
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Craig Ringer <ringerc@ringerc.id.au> wrote:
> On 06/24/2012 03:45 AM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>>
>> As previously stated, make sure you understand how this happened, so
>> you can make sure it doesn't happen again.  The contents of the
>> pg_xlog directory are an integral part of your database cluster.
>

> People not backing up pg_xlog, deleting its contents, etc happens often
> enough that I wonder if it should have a prominent 00_README or
> 00_WARNING_DONT_DELETE file created by initdb - or simply be renamed to
> something scarier like "base_txrecords".

This doesn't help when your backup skips them because the files exist
on another disk partition. Out of sight, out of mind.

If pg_basebackup defaulted to --xlog and its use was encouraged these
mistakes might be less common.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart@stuartbishop.net>
http://www.stuartbishop.net/