Re: Minimising windows installer password confusion

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: Minimising windows installer password confusion
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 06/13/2012 01:19 AM, Sachin Srivastava wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org
> <mailto:dpage@pgadmin.org>> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com
>     <mailto:robertmhaas@gmail.com>> wrote:

>      > What we need is to display a different dialogue based on the
>     situation.
>      >
>      > If the account already exists, we should say "Please enter the
>      > password for the existing postgres account.  If you do not know the
>      > password, you can reset it using the Windows control panel."

Why "using the windows control panel" ?

They're running an installer with the rights to create/alter/delete
users. Shouldn't the installer just offer to reset the "postgres"
password, after warning them that it'll break other versions of
PostgreSQL and tools like PgAgent?

IMO, it'd be better for the installer to just take care of this behind
the scenes. Generate a random password. Store it in the registry in a
key that only the services manager ( SYSTEM account? ) and local
administrators can read. Use it in subsequent installs. Make the
"postgres" database password completely unrelated to it.

--
Craig Ringer

POST Newspapers
276 Onslow Rd, Shenton Park